Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chapter 14 The San Joaquin River




Chapter 14

Getting acquainted with

 the San Joaquin River



Since the last few chapters (which were mostly photos), Floyd & I have been traveling the southern part of the Mokelumne River along the western part of the San Joaquin River to an inlet that brought us to Owl’s Harbor.

Until recently, we did not spend very much time on the San Joaquin River.  However, Floyd and I have committed ourselves to become more familiar with the deep-water channels of the Sacramento Delta Waterways.  This is important for many reasons, but the first is to build my confidence in motoring-rowing-sailing in high traffic areas.



Floyd reminds me, everyday, that I cannot fulfill my passion to travel along the Delta waterways without being skilled in handling tides, winds, currents, and most importantly able to navigate the wakes that other boaters present themselves to me (in any combination with what the delta waterways can muster).

At some point, Floyd & I will share "the little that I know" of the historical significance of the Sacramento Delta Waterway system.  For those who are impatient, you can always “Google” to learn more about the Delta on the internet.

The first lesson I learned on the San Joaquin River, (which had a lot more impact than from reading) was to pay attention to the wake of boaters (from either direction) and its impact on the waves on my intended course. 


Depending on the proximity of the other boaters . . .
 the impact of their wake was “predictable” once I made sure that I paid attention and made the proper counter measures.
Floyd, met each nautical challenge in stride, and I responded in-kind  . . .
 (or soon after a couple of Hail-Mary’s).

At a speed of 4-5 knots, Floyd maintained a proper heading . . . whether we moved with the tide, against the current, had a following sea, or the waves churned  . . . as she intuitively knew more that I.

All of our western excursions on the San Joaquin River were at mid/low tide, so we stayed  close to mid channel until we came to the navigation marker # 41 FL G 4s, where we turned to starboard to the inlet that brought us to Owls Harbor where the inlet ended.

There are two marinas before we got to Owls Harbor . . . the first is River’s Edge and the second, just before Owls Harbor is Bruno’s.  At the entrance of the inlet is an abandoned crane on a barge.

                                                                                                                                                                            

Floyd & I will continue to make frequent runs to the San Joaquin until we are comfortable with the challenges that day boaters normally encounter.  I still have much to learn, but the more time we spend on the water . . . the more, confident I will become . . . 



Later, Floyd & I will share with our readers the many “Loops” within the “Sacramento Delta Loop” . . .






Til’ we chat again, 

Floyd & Joe 

www.visualartbyjoseph.com


No comments:

Post a Comment