Monday, August 20, 2012

Chapter 18 No one can escape mortality . . .




Chapter 18

Floyd’s “Take” on . . . 

  “Together we can find a Cure”

Excerpted from Chapter 1

 “Prior to our Dad leaving this world, he told me to live each day as if it was your last day and to take my retirement on an installment plan and give thanks to Jesus.  Our Dad wanted to share with my brothers and I that only the lord knows when it is time to go home. However, while we are here . . .  and always give something to others.” . . .

“This was the moment . . . when Floyd and I began our friendship.  Floyd wanted to know why I came to Inglewood . . . as she felt that someone would come and take him on a journey . . . but not sure if it was, I , that she was to take the journey with.” . . .

“As of today, most of my Uncles and Aunts have passed away (mostly from cancer) in the most recent 10 years, and all of them were as special to me as my mom and dad.  Moreover, I had an opportunity to visit with most of them before they left this world, as my dad encouraged me to do."

It is now, just about seven days ago when Bob Phalen, my cousin, died from a heart attack.  The loss of my cousin from a heart attack is no less of a loss than any loved one who died from cancer or some other cause.  Bob is now with his father, but will always be in arms reach to all those have come to know him and love him.

This past week, Floyd encouraged me to continue to make short outings . . . but she also told me to stay dockside the majority of the time.  Floyd’s “take” was for me to spend time to give her older sister,
 1964 Owens Flagship “Island Girl” a makeover, and



 To reflect on what “Together We Can Find a Cure” truly means.

“None of us can escape our mortality . . . but we all can add value to our life, by celebrating our journey with friends and family.”

Each year, through research, we all benefit from an opportunity to extend our life . . . so that we can make the most of our time to love others, as we love ourselves.   

Charities of all kinds unite and bond us, all . . .

There are walks, bake sales, dinners and dances . . . etc. designed to raise money for research and awareness 2 find a cure.

All contribute in finding ways to extend life and to support family, friends and caregivers;   
Floyd is especially empathic to caregivers . . .  
                                                                                                                                                            
Charity is not just a family thing . . . charity defines who we are, as we are all family.

I reminded Floyd that my family tree has fewer branches . . . each year.

However, Floyd also reminds me . . . that our clan is only one of many trees in our global forest  . . . and that every clan has experienced fallen branches.  However, close beneath our ancestral tree’s . . . new roots emerge to embrace the challenge to find a cure.

 My most important blessing is my daughter, Sabrina.



Sabrina & I 



Sabrina & I 

Excerpted, also, from Chapter 1

“Floyd asked me if I had a child . . . I replied that I had a daughter 27 years old named Sabrina and that her mother passed away 2/14/2012 from cancer.” 



Sabrina & Mom

As of yesterday, I completed the major aspects of Floyd’s older sister, 
1964 Owens Flagship “Island Girl” makeover . . .


While I was doin' "Island Girl's" makeover . . . 


Floyd was watching our neighbors kids paddling on a surfboard.


This morning, Floyd & I went on a morning cruise along her favorite slough, thus far . . .

The Georgiana Slough . . .

Below are some photos of our day trip . . .


  






Floyd’s “take” . . .


  Together we can find a Cure


Post Script:
Please do not download
 any of my photos or chapters
 without my permission.

Til’ we chat again, 

Floyd & Joe

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe Love this post...It is still hard to think that Bob is gone. I have to remind myself that every time.

    Sabrina is a beautiful young lady you are very lucky to have her. Please hug her for me.

    ReplyDelete