Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chapter 16 In Memory of Bob Phelan



Chapter 16

In memory of my cousin, Bob Phelan


Robert E. Phelan, Jr.

My brother, Bill, called me around 6 am (California Time) to convey the sad news that our cousin, Bob Phelan, age 63, of West Haven, CT passed away earlier that morning, on August 10, 2012.        I had just spoken with Bob a couple of weeks prior, when he extended to me his “best wishes” on the adventure that Floyd & I were undertaking.

As an adult, a four year age difference between friends does not seem much . . . But, as a kid, with my cousin Bob being four years older than I  . . . it was significant.  Being older, he knew more about “stuff” than I did (which is just as true today) and he shared what he knew to me without any reluctance.

 In his early working years, he was a Conductor of a passenger train (just like his Dad). I was always fascinated with trains and Bob, like his Dad, would let me ride, free. 

I still can recall his “Conductor voice” calling out the approaching station stops to alert passengers that they are nearing their destination. I also can vividly remember him in his uniform, (especially his hat, tobacco pipe, and hole puncher), walking up and down the aisle verifying that the passengers had a ticket to be onboard. 

I had no clue as to how smart Bob really was, although I think I knew it intuitively.  Bob never bragged about his academic credentials, so while growing up I never knew that he had two masters' degrees.
Later on, Bob moved to Taiwan where he taught English, Sociology and Computers.
                   While there . . . Bob met Ethel, who he married.

Bob & I reconnected when he returned from Taiwan . . . he still smoked a pipe and loved to sport a “railroad-type conductor hat”. 

The four-year “gap” in age, is now narrowing . . . but my cousin Bob now had become a world traveler, professor, met the love of his life, and is now a Dad. I will always remember the times we had “catching-up” on our life events.  I am glad that our age difference never closed, as I like the idea of being “under his wing”.
Shortly after, I moved to California  . . . While we did not communicate regularly, when we did, Bob still had a presence of keeping me “under his wing”. 

Bob takes all life events “under his wing”.  By example, He was a researcher and moderator for a global group on climate change called “Watts Up with That”, and took every opportunity to share his insight with all.
Bob is survived by his wife, Ethel, and their three children; Diane, John, and Robert; his mom and Sisters’ Liz & Kate and Brother Jim . . . they all can be comforted in knowing that Bob will always be remembered and that we are all “under Bob’s wing”.

I still, and always will, feel Bob’s love & presence . . .

"Smoking his Pipe & sporting his Conductor’s Hat . . . n’ chanting . . . 

“Have your tickets ready” . . ."


Til’ we chat again, 

Floyd & Joe 

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is a great post. Thank you for this wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete