Friday, July 20, 2012

Chapter 9 Floyd says Do not rush our adventure


Chapter 9


Floyd says Do not rush our adventure



Today is now Friday, July 20, 2012, and Floyd & I have been on the Delta for 16 days.

Floyd is not one to say much,
                                                                                        
 but I am continually surprised on how much he listens . . .  
                                    
 when the opportunity presents itself, she is very capable of keeping me focused.

 Floyd has heard my conversations that I have been a live-aboard on old wooden boats back in Connecticut since 1978 and on the Sacramento Delta since 2005; therefore, she was able to calculate that I rarely left my berth . . . until she came into my life . . . even though it was a passion of mine to explore the Delta Waterways since 2005.

During these past 16 days, I have seen and traveled more of the Delta than I have in the 7 years that I have been a boat owner.  Please know that it was not that I did not have an opportunity to do so . . 
but rather that I was fearful of venturing out on my own.

Meeting Floyd came at the right moment in my life.  She truly understood the need to accomplish one’s passion before we become infirmed or leave this world. 

As you all know by now, Pinky/Floyd was built by Ken, of International Marine,
 to promote awareness        
2 find a cure 4 breast cancer, via “Sail 4 the Cure”.  
                 
But Floyd also had his own passion . .
 . 
As she dearly wants 2 Motor-Row-Sail 4 the Cure with me.

 Excerpted from Chapter 8

“If I had not met Floyd, I most likely would have never fulfilled my passion to motor-row-sail the 700 miles of the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta Waterway . . .
Floyd, has an uncommon nature that invites the sharing of personal experiences that elevates them to a heighten level of commonness.
Floyd will play an important role in assisting me through my personal self-doubts related to the trials & pleasures of embarking on a 700 mile adventure and my faith in our lord will guide me through my related  trials & pleasures  to stay connected on a spiritual level, with my loved ones who I have shared the sorrow of loss.”


My self-doubts, which are common to many folks, have now been washed away . . . permitting me to venture outside of my comfort zone.  This is the message that Floyd wants to share with all our readers . . . who in their own way never left their berth to fulfill their own passion before it was too late . . . including making sure that we stay connected with our  friends, neighbors, and loved ones.

 On Monday, July 16, 2012, Floyd shared another thought with me, one that makes
          so much sense . . . that it should be “common” sense to all.  That is, to not rush our adventure along the Delta Waterways.  She told me that our fulfilling our passion could not be measured by miles traveled, but rather the experiences we come to know in our journey along the Delta’s waterways.

Floyd also corrected my thought process regarding the word “Shakedown” that I often referred to, that being defined as getting ready to start a journey.  Floyd aptly reminded me that my true “shakedown” for our adventure began on the first day that we met and lasted only until I wrote out the check to purchase her.  From that moment, our adventure had begun.

Therefore, beginning today, Floyd & I will no longer be counting the days since our adventure began . . . as it really started late afternoon on April 7, 2012.  Nor will we be counting the days after today’s date.  However, what we will share  . . . are the many cherished wonders that we have both experienced.

Today, Floyd and I decided that we would spend our time between now and September to exploring the Mokelumne River and its Sloughs east of the Sacramento River and north of the San Joaquin River before we move to the other quadrants of the Delta.  This will undoubtedly require several more visits back to the Delta to complete our adventure, but it will be worth it.




Tom (left), Harbormaster Korth's Marina his friend Jerry (right)


This morning, Floyd & I ventured south on the Mokelumne River to visit our friend Tom Tate, the Harbormaster of Korth’s Pirate Lair Marina.  Between now and August 3rd, Floyd & I will be making daily excursions south on the Mokelumne River and east on the San Joaquin River visiting the marinas along our route to Owl Harbor Marina.  On August 3rd, we will be rendezvousing at Owl Harbor to meet the sailors who are participating in the 2012 Delta Doo Dah weekend sail.  It is our hope to meet fellow sailors’ and to get some sailing tips and make some new friends along the way.


The Story of Joe & Floyd  began on  .  .  .


April 7th 2012


You are all welcomed to follow ours . . .


 Or,

 Begin your own adventure, which we will follow!



Post Script:  I contacted Oscar of International Marine regarding my electrical problem on July 19th regarding the console box that controlled my lights and battery status.  Today, July 20th; Oscar (Ken’s right hand guy)  told  me know that a new console box was being priority mailed to me and is due to arrive on Monday July 23rd.  The problem became apparent when I was checking the Battery charge status and running lights in preparation for a sunset ride . . . 

Upon further inspection, I discovered that all the fuses were corroded, that the connectors were rusted, and that the evidence of water seepage had occurred prior to my purchase of Floyd.  After replacing the fuses, only the deck lights were operational.  Oscar told me that he was sending me a new control box, as it was obvious that this problem, unfortunately was not detected during the preparation of Floyd being refitted for our adventure.

This information is being shared, because not only these events are significant to Floyd & I, but also to let all potential new-owners of WWPotter 15 & 19 know that Ken & his Staff guarantee their workmanship.



Til’ we chat again,


Floyd & Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment