Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chapter 12 Down Time




Chapter 12


 Down Time





Today is Wednesday, July 25, 2012.

“Post Script from Chapter 9:  I contacted Oscar of International Marine regarding my electrical problem on July 19th   regarding  the console box that controlled my lights and battery status.  Today, July 20th; Oscar (Ken’s right hand guy)  told  me know that a new console box was being priority mailed to me and is due to arrive on Monday July 23rd.  The problem became apparent when I was checking the Battery charge status and running lights in preparation for a sunset ride . . . 
Upon further inspection, I discovered that all the fuses were corroded, that the connectors were rusted, and that the evidence of water seepage had occurred prior to my purchase of Floyd.  After replacing the fuses, only the deck lights were operational.  Oscar told me that he was sending me a new control box, as it was obvious that this problem, unfortunately was not detected during the preparation of Floyd being refitted for our adventure.
This information is being shared, because not only these events are significant to Floyd & I, but also to let all potential new-owners of WWPotter 15 & 19 know that Ken & his Staff guarantee their workmanship.”

By mid-day today, Floyd’s electrical issues have been resolved and we are ready to resume our adventure.  We are truly thankful to Ken and his lead guy, Oscar, for sending us the replacement parts without any hesitation.

Floyd and I used this downtime by stopping by the local hair cutting business (The Hair Loom) in Isleton, where I always got a trim while in the delta, to find out how to donate my hair for wigs for cancer survivors. 
This is probably a good point to back up several months . . . to bring everyone up as to why I stopped by “The Hair Loom”.

Many of you know by now that the main event that lead up to “Motor-Row-Sail 4 the Cure” was the death of my daughter’s mom on Valentine’s Day of this year.  Sabrina’s mom participated in many traditional and non-traditional treatments including Chemo treatment. While Sabrina’s mom had many remissions and at times felt better . . . she lost her hair and purchased a wig.  Every lady knows, and all caring guys should empathize, that self-esteem can be diminished when one is not looking their best. 

Sabrina informed me the previous year, some time around mid May of 2011 that her mom had cancer. She was scared for her mom and tearful of the reality that her mom may not be a part of her life.  Sabrina had aspirations of getting married and having children and wanted to know that her mom and dad would be around to share Grandma  & Grandpa “stuff” with her.

While there are many avenues and paths that families and friends travel . . . when a loved one is challenged with a life-threatening event . . .                                                                         
Those events do not take precedence over “the everyday-here-and-now-stuff”.

My first priority was (and is) to do whatever Sabrina needed me to do.  This was a personal challenge on my part not to do what I felt that should be done to assist Sabrina or her Mom.

Floyd & I will speak more of this parody of conflicting priorities later . . .

However, this chapter is about a daughter’s need . . . not mine.  Sabrina shared with me how traumatic it was for her to shave her mom’s head and to help her mom to find a suitable wig.  I do not know which upset me the most . . . 
that the mother of our daughter was dying or that my daughter had to shave her mom’s head.

Sabrina grew up with a dad who always had long hair, as did her mom.  However, my hair was never at a length that was considered eligible for donation.  However, upon hearing that Sabrina shaved her mom’s head, I made a personal commitment to let my hair grow until it reached a length when I could donate my locks to someone who desired a wig after losing their own hair as a result of treatment for cancer.

As of today, I was told that my hair needed to grow a bit longer.  Soon my hair will be of the required length to be worthy of donation to a special person who wants to look good for her or his loved one and family . . . and to look in the mirror and feel good about themselves.

Tomorrow, Floyd & I will be resuming our adventure on the Delta . . .

"The Story of Joe & Floyd" really began.  .  . 

The day that my daughter told me that

 she was fearful that her mom had 

cancer . . .

You are all welcomed to follow our adventure . . .

 Or, Begin your own adventure!

Til’ we chat again,

Floyd & Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment